Energy Intelligence Center (EIC), An international reference in energy
A project to position Biscay as a reference in the energy and energy transition sector.
The Energy Intelligence Center (EIC) is a project designed to position Biscay and Euskadi - The Basque Country as an international benchmark in the field of energy and energy transition. This is a strategic commitment to the future for the Provincial Council of Biscay and the Basque Government with a view to helping to consolidate the sector’s competitiveness as one of the mainstays of Basque industry and the global presence of our firms. The EIC will be the driving force behind the Ezkerraldea-Meatzaldea Technology Park, dedicated to Industry 4.0 and advanced manufacturing.
Scheduled for commissioning in 2022 and involving an investment of 19 million euros, in June 2020 the Provincial Council of Biscay called a public tender for the construction of the Ezkerraldea-Meatzaldea Technology Park’s head offices. This building will house the park’s flagship company, the EIC. Its construction is set to begin in November 2020 and will be completed in August 2022.
The thinking behind the EIC
The energy sector is one of the mainstays of industry in Biscay and Euskadi-The Basque Country:
- The sector in Euskadi-The Basque Country involves nearly 350 companies with a global turnover of 47,000 million euros.
- The energy sector in Biscay accounts for 7.5% of GDP.
- The Basque energy sector creates employment: 63,000 jobs worldwide, 21,000 in Euskadi-The Basque Country, and 13,400 in the province of Biscay.
The Energy Intelligence Center is going to position itself in Biscay as an international yardstick in the sector of energies of the future. This building will provide the launch-pad for sustainable and innovative projects in a key sector for Biscay both now and in the future.
Purpose of the Energy Intelligence Center
The EIC’s overriding purpose is to develop new models of energy generation. To do so, it pursues two main lines of action:
- Drive the development of major projects with a galvanising effect in the area thanks to cutting-edge technology.
- Contribute to the sector’s transformation to adapt it to future demands.
The EIC building
- The new building will have a useful surface area of 18,932 square metres.
- The EIC will occupy the central area and the east wing of the building, taking up 7,907 square metres distributed over four floors of offices and laboratories, with an additional industrial facility.
- The head offices of the Ezkerraldea-Meatzaldea Technology Park will occupy the building’s left wing. This will involve 5,416 square metres on four floors that will house a conference hall, meeting rooms, and areas for renting out office space.
- The building will be self-sufficient in energy thanks to a unique photovoltaic installation on its frontage and roof.