Biscay, a global reference in energy and leadership in the energy transition
At international level Biscay has earned itself a position as a knowledge hub and an industrial reference centre in the field of energy. A strategic sector with significant dynamism throughout its value chain and which leads the energy transition.
Energy: a strategic sector for Biscay
A sector committed to reinforcing its referential position and leadership in the energy transition, the diversification of energy sources, the promotion of renewable energy, Smart Grids and the development of the Basque Hydrogen Corridor.
- The region possesses the features to create a hydrogen economy hub: the refinery, the port and the consumption centres. Thus, Biscay is firmly committed to a hydrogen ecosystem that promotes both the industrial and technological development of the productive sector and the decarbonisation of industrial processes and sectors such as transport.
Biscay has trailblazing, leading global companies such as Iberdrola, Petronor and their entire chain of suppliers, and the presence of important international corporations with manufacturing plants and R&D centres in Biscay, such as Alstom, Siemens, General Electric and ABB.
Companies from the energy sector are supported by a robust scientific-technological infrastructure that is committed to the creation of knowledge and innovation.
The Energy Intelligence Center is intended to be a Centre for the promotion of the competitiveness of companies in the sector based on competitive intelligence, technological development, the creation of knowledge and access to the most advanced markets.
Strategic initiatives - energy in Biscay.
- EIC – Energy Intelligence Centre: A centre of innovation and generation for the energy sector.
- Global martgrids Innovation Hub: A centre for innovation led by Iberdrola that brings together suppliers, start-ups and other actors.
- Bidelek Project: Implementation of smart networks.
- Wind Box Advanced Manufacturing Centre.
- BIMEP: Offshore testing platform for marine energy collector prototypes.
- Wave Power Station in Mutriku: Generating energy from the movement of the waves.
Benchmark firms in Biscay in the field of energy
- Arteche - Group
Global firms operating in the energy sector in Biscay.
- General Electric